Thursday, January 8, 2009

Observations







2009 sketchbook pages
Greasy gray graphite


I don't get out much. Especially not with the sketchbook, which is shameful because that's what people who draw should do, right?
Now that it's a new year, and resolutions are to be made, I promised myself that I would be more artistically active in 2009. That means not only drawing everyday, but making more drawings based on observation, not just silly doodles from my head.
If you look at my output from 2008, it's really pretty pathetic. I only made three paintings, and they were all 9"x12" in size. This habit needs to change. 2009 will be a year of many more paintings of respectable size and content.
No more cartoon lines. No more goofy characters. I want my work to get as far away from "low brow" as it possibly can. I will keep the fusion of dry and wet media, and I will keep the weird textural elements, but everything else will change.
This year, I'm going to do something with my life and with my work. I'm on a path. My five year plan is to marry Jeanne, get an MFA, and devote myself to painting once more. I can and I will accomplish this.